[pure-silver] Re: [inconsistent shaking of developer

  • From: Shannon Stoney <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:43:06 -0500

Richard, I suspect incomplete mixing to begin with rather than a separation
later. When mixing HC110 I almost always make a standard stock solution.
However, when mixing Ilford Ilfotec HC I make small 1 liter batches. I use
warm to hot water to rinse my graduate out after measuring. I can see that
some may not get good consistency from liquid developer, if a short shake or
cool water is used.  I not saying one should sake so vigorously to create
bubbles, but new batches should be stirred well.

Not sure what you mean here.  Do you mean that the factory mixes incompletely?

I use room temperature water to dilute the DDX, but I stir the solution a lot. I have to, because the water I use is usually at about 75 degrees, and I have to cool it to 70. I have little plastic film canister "ice cubes" that I put in the solution to cool it.

I have wondered if these "ice cubes" were leaking and thereby diluting the developer, but I don't think they are. I have tested them by inverting them when the water is not frozen, and they don't leak.

Maybe I should try cooling the dluted developer in a sink of cold water, rather than by putting the frozen film canisters in the solution.

--shannon

Eric Neilsen Photography 4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9 Dallas, TX 75226 214-827-8301 http://ericneilsenphotography.com