[pure-silver] Re: expiration dates on film boxes

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 05:40:20 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Koch, Gerald" <gkoch02@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 10:45 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: expiration dates on film boxes

Professional film is treated differently from amateur film, at least by
Kodak. Professional films are held after manufacture until their
sensitivity and contrast match a standard. Then they are released for
sale. Thus a film like TXP is not "fresh from the factory" but it is at
a certain known point in its life cycle. This is to insure consistency
between runs. In contrast, amateur films are released almost
immediately after manufacture.

I don't think this is true of B&W film. Kodak states that this is true for color films. Amateur films are made such that the balance and other characteristics are acceptable when fresh and at the expiration date and drift through an optimum at some point in time. Professional films are intended to be stored under refrigeration until use and are designed to have optimum and reproducable balance at the time of purchase. Dealers for the pro products are required to refrigerate them under conditions specified by Kodak.
The main issue is color balance which is affected by even slight changes of speed and especially curve shape of the individual layers of the emulsion. B&W film does not have this problem and is in all ways less critical.
Some Kodak "pro" B&W films have retouching surfaces on both sides where the amateur film does not.
My own experience is that longevity is very brand dependant. For instance, I have a lot of Plus-X sheet film which was bought outdated perhaps 15 years ago. I also have some Agfa APX-10 sheet film which was bought new perhaps 12 years ago. The Plus-X has become slightly foggy. A small amount of bromide added to the developer results in completely clear film edges. The APX-100 is much more foggy. I have not yet tested it with a large dose of bromide but I think it may be unusable.

---