[pure-silver] Re: expiration dates on film boxes

  • From: "John Black" <jblack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:41:16 -0400

> I've been thinking about Dan's idea of the "end of the silver era"
> hypothesis about inconsistent results with TXP. I just looked at the
> two boxes of TXP that I have.  One was bought at a local camera store
> and has an expiration date of 2/2008.   I used this film a couple of
> weeks ago in New Orleans and it performed perfectly. The other came
> from BH PHotovideo and has an expiration date of 3/2006.  It seems
> that this box from BH is two years older than the other box!  I have
> not used this film yet.
>
> That got me wondering:  how is film dated?  How long is it expected
> to last?  That is, when a sheet of TXP is absolutely fresh, right out
> of the factory, how much into the future is it dated?  And why would
> the camera store have much fresher film than BH?
>
> --shannon

Kodak has done some sub rosa shuffling with the various iterations of Tri-X
within the last couple of years.  The older emulsion was rated at 320 but
the newer rollfilms at least, I don't know about sheets, is rated at 400.
The older version of TXP was somewhat slower than the newest but not enough
to cause that much difference.

I too would tend toward accidental underexposure.  What developer did you
use?  Did you use a filter when taking?

JB