[pure-silver] digital photo list? epson 4990 scanner?

  • From: Shannon Stoney <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 20:15:57 -0500

Is there a digital photography list? I have a question about the Epson 4990 scanner and scanning big negatives on it.

In case it's ok to ask that question here: I looked at one of these scanners today. It seems that when you scan an 8x10 negative or transparency, the film sits right on the glass. I would think that that could cause newton rings or focus problems. The holders for other sizes of film hold the film about 1mm away from the glass. I read somewhere on the internet that the focus for this scanner is sort of between 0 (on the glass) and 1mm (in the holders). So I wonder if you can tell in the prints that the focus is not spot on. Maybe this doesn't matter.

But what about the newton rings?

--shannon