[pure-silver] Re: burning in & overall exposure

  • From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 10:36:51 -0400

DEAR ELIAS,
        The boarders would be covered during both the main exposure and the
burn hence no fog.
        Suggestions:
1) Use black paper cut or curved in various shapes for your burns.  Yes, I
also like to use my hands but black paper bounces less light around.
2) If you have any light leaks from the enlarger, they can veil any print.
3) I have the area around my enlarger painted black though I have taken
precautions to minimize light leaks from the enlarger.
4) My favorite trick: whenever I screw up a piece of paper, I put it in the
developer, turn on the lights, let it turn deep black and then finish
processing and washing it along with the good prints.  This way I have a
piece of paper with one side black and one white.  I keep the black side
down but can still see the area of the print (albeit out of focus) on the
white side.  This works particularly well when burning a very small area
through a hole cut in the paper.
        Well, free advice, by definition of no value!
                CHEERS!
                        BOB