[pure-silver] Re: anybody using delta3200 + xtol in a rotary processor?

  • From: David Foy <dfoy@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 11:59:13 -0600

Tabular grain shapes are normal and have been observed in emulsions since microscopic examinations first started being made. In any heterogeneous silver halide emulsion a certain proportion of grains are almost certain to be tabular. In fact, it's hard to make an emulsion that has none, I am told.

The ingenuity behind many patents lies in coming up with emulsification methods that yield predominately tabular grains, and each manufacturer makes them with certain special characteristics. Thus Ilford's tabular films and Kodak's tabular films resemble each other but are still noticeably different.

I think I remember reading somewhere (or did I dream it?) that Kodak did successfully enforce patent rights against Foma a few years ago. If so, I find it surprising that Foma couldn't have come up with a non-infringing emulsion of their own, since so many tabular emulsion patents are now expired and in the public domain.

Fuji's current films are all tabular, would be my guess -- I say that since they continue filing patents that involve tabular emulsions.

David Foy

Jim Brick wrote:
My personal belief is that Fuji could not "copy" Kodak's patented "tab" grained film. I believe they developed their own grain technology. That's my opinion from bits and pieces that I have picked-up from various sources over the years. It might be correct, and it might not. But I really like the Fuji Acros 100 and Neopan 1600 films. I don't particularly like Tmax films.

IMHO,

Jim

At 11:16 AM 6/14/2006 -0500, Bob Randall wrote:

Do you think it has the same grain characteristics as Kodak's high speed tab
film?