[pure-silver] Re: air pump for Devere 108S

  • From: Peter De Smidt <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 19:50:30 -0600

Shannon Stoney wrote:

Interesting that there might be a quieter, higher-tech, third party fan that might work. I wonder how to find out how much air volume per minute or whatever is needed? Maybe Devere can tell me?

--shannon

=
Get a low-noise bathroom fan. Connect it with a flexible duct tot he fan exhaust opening. Use a switch designed for ceiling fans such that you can control how fast the motor runs. You will have plenty of airflow. Turn the head on and turn the fan on high. Feel the head after about 1 minute. Is it only warm to the touch, approximately 100*F. If so, then turn the fan down a bit and feel again. It can feel warm but shouldn't be burning hot. Find the lowest setting that keeps the head temp appropriate. Use a marker and tape to show where to turn the knob on the speed control such that you get adequate cooling at the lowest fan speed. There you go.

As I said in an earlier post, I've done this with a De Vere that has a very similar setup to yours. It works.

On another matter, it's a good idea to keep a universal type fire extinguisher in your darkroom.