[pure-silver] Re: You're making your own emulsion!

  • From: Ray Rogers <earthsoda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:06:05 -0800 (PST)

> If all else fails, you can now ensure that future
generations have something to print on!

Amateur Emulsion makers are not all that rare...
I know of several.
I myself began in the late 1980s. When I began I knew
none so I actively sought out others with similar
interests.

Some points need clarification:

1.
All silver halide emulsions are very sensitive to
impurities, not just (and not especially), silver
chlorobromide emulsions. If there are photographically
active impurities in your paper, they WILL affect your
results, sometimes without your even knowing it!

2.
Typical or traditional sizing is not meant nor capable
of adequate protection....

3.
You can wash or not wash any regular emulsion, as you
wish. Very fine emulsions have been made by both
methods.

While there are both advantages and disadvantages to
either method, it is not absolutely essential to wash
in the case of a paper emulsion.

If the emulsion is to be coated on film or glass, (a
non-absorbing substrate) the emulsion needs to have
the water soluble salts removed so that they will not
precipitate out and disrupt the (image) surface.

Water washing of the gelled emulsion is a perfectly
good method that works in almost all situations, above
all else, it is unsurpassed in its simplicity.

There are many many methods of eliminating the soluble
salts however and they all work... the main
differences are in cost, safety, simplicity, speed and
required handling.

4.
Fuji had many problems with their emulsions for both
paper and film and it took them a while to reach the
point where they were truly proud of what they sold.

5.
New texts are being produced every year, but
I would say that there is a very large body of
information on emulsion making already available... we
are not in any real danger of losing the basic
technology...

Rather, IMHO, we are at a much greater risk of losing
the aesthetic sense that guides us when we do create.

Digital-ism has and will continue to increase the
number of "whippersnappers" (whip it out and snap it).

However...
A breath-taking picture on a digital camera is
infinitely more desirable that a crappy picture on any
emulsion.

Emulsion maker and Emulsioneer

Ray Rogers