[pure-silver] Re: Yellow stains on prints

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:00:01 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ibrahim Pamuk Genel Müdür Yardimcisi - Vestel Savunma Sanayi A.S" <ibrahim.pamuk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 8:15 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Yellow stains on prints

I have got yellow stains on my B&W prints which have been hanged sometime on the wall. I believe that its due to improper handling of the print. Is there a remedy for these? Will bleach and redevelop or toning help?

Regards,

Ibrahim Pamuk

These are likely due to incomplete fixing or washing. About the only remedy is to try bleaching and redeveloping the prints. It might not work. The following formula is published by Kodak for removing developer and oxidation stains on negatives but it may work here.

Kodak Bleach
Stock Solution A
Potassium Permanganate 5.2 grams
Water to make 1.0 liter
Make sure all particles of the Permanganate have dissolved and filter the solution before use.

Stock Solution B
Cold water                               500.0 ml
Sodium Chloride (table salt)              75.0 grams
Sulfuric acid, concentrated               16.0 ml
Cold water to make                         1.0 liter

Use equal parts of A and B. The mixed solution does not keep long and should be mixed just before use.
Bleaching for negatives takes 3 or 4 minutes at 68F, prints will bleach faster.
Remove the Permanganate stain by treating in a 1.5% solution of Sodium bisulfite. Probably working strength Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent will work.
Rinse well and redevelop in Dektol or other print developer. Wash after redeveloping.

If this doesn't work the only solution is to make new prints.

---