[pure-silver] Re: Wollensack Vitax lens? Which way is up-)

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pure-Silver Free" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 13:34:41 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Zentena" <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2007 12:25 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Wollensack Vitax lens? Which way is
up-)

I've figured out how to open the blades and set the
aperture. But which way
should the soft focus dial go? Is 0 no softness? Or max
softness?

At what distance should the a No3 focus? I think this is
supposed to be a 16"
lens. I need to clean the middle element I assume just use
a lens cloth?

Anybody have a packard #6 bigger then a truck wheel -))

Nick

    There are some Wollensak catalogues at
http://www.cameraeccentric.com   I think the Vitax is
described in one of them.
    As for cleaning, I don't know how to get this lens
apart but in general I suggest using lens tissue or Kimwipes
and using each only once. Anything that is re-used can pick
up grit and scratch. Lens tissues can also be used to make
one-use brushes, roll the tissue into a tube, tear it in
half and fold the feathered ends together, the Kodak tissues
work especially well for this. Again, any brush, no matter
how soft, can pick up grit and scratch so its better to use
the tissues and discard them after one use.
    Ordinary lens cleaner should remove just about anything
on the lens. I also find that so-called "streak free" window
cleaners work well. These contain Butyl alcohol and do not
contain ammonia.
    If your lens is in a "Studio" shutter you are lucky it
works. Many of these shutters have warped blades. The same
blades are used for both the shutter and diaphragm. The
blades are made of Vulcanite, a sort of hard rubber, and
tend to warp from heat or pressure.
    Packars shutters come in very large sizes although you
may have to special order them. They have become hard to
find used in any size and are relatively expensive new. A
large Packard can be mounted on a lens board with some sort
of adaptor so it can take several lenses. I have a rig like
this with a large Ilex shutter which can be used with any
number of lenses. This makes the shutter more economical.
Packard shutters are at:
http://www.packardshutter.com
Shutters requiring a lens board larger than the camera will take can be mounted in a box which in turn has a fitting for the camera. Packard shuttes can also be adapted to fit on the front of many lenses.

---