[pure-silver] Re: Wollensack Vitax lens? Which way is up-)

  • From: Nick Zentena <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 13:50:44 -0400

On Friday 18 May 2007 05:39, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>     The center lens may be held in place by a cap, this
> would be the easiest to get off. Sometimes center lenses of
> triplet types are "spun-in", this uses a lip which is spun
> down over the back of the lens. If this is the case the
> front element is probably held in by a threaded ring. The
> rings don't always have slots or dots on them and must be
> unscrewed using a friction wrench. This is a tube the right
> diameter to contact the retaining ring with its edge covered
> by sticky rubber. One can make these in several ways. Its
> sometime suggested that an O ring the right diameter be
> cemented to the edge, I've had only poor success doing this
> but it can be helped by sanding the edge of the O ring to a
> flat angle to fit the ring. Very often the threads are
> painted over so its necessary to remove the paint with a
> little Acetone on a cotton swab. Hopefully the thing has a
> cap on the back.
>     A lot of lenses get hazy inside the closed cell areas. I
> think this is caused by something evaporating from the
> anti-reflection paint.

        This looks more like a 100 years of dust. It was so thick I couldn't
see
anything. Better then a lenscap. I think unless I decide to paint the inside
of the barrel I'll leave the element alone. The barrel is big enough to fit
my whole hand so I can get to the inside of the element.

>     I'm not sure of the standard size for the Kodak studio
> cameras (sold under the Century name), The Agfa/Ansco
> equivalents had 9x9 inch lens boards. Ilex used to make a
> back shutter that fit right into this size opening and took
> a somewhat smaller lens board on the front. I have one of
> these guys but the shutter blades warped. I will have to dig
> it out and try heating them in a dry mounting press to see
> if that will flatten them out again. This shutter project is
> on the back burner, so to speak, because I don't have a
> camera which will take this very large size lens boards.

        The opening is 9x9. The front standard is so big the opening looks
small-)
The more I look at the camera the more I wonder if it started out being a
plate camera. The current back is an add  on. A 4x5 press camera back mounted
on some 13x13 plywood. But the side of the camera has hinges that look like
the stock back swung out of the way like a door.

        It just seems strange that at full extension it's only 21". Seems
pretty
short. I was hoping on mounting my 19" Brown process lens. This is the first
camera I've owned strong enough for the Brown. My Calumet CC401 needed wooden
wedges to handle the weight.

        Thanks
        Nick