[pure-silver] Re: WashAid Question

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 15:21:15 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eugene Barrington" <eandpbarrington@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 2:23 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: WashAid Question

Thanks for that info. I'm using the Kodak product which is anhydrous (I think). Obviously not much is required for my modest needs! I'll break out the FB paper and produce some real prints - but RC is so handy and washes so quickly! Toning and hypo clearing in the one bath is another time and water saver.
Eugene B.

This works only for Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner at high dilutions, i.e., around 1:19. When using less diluted toner the wash aid and toning should be done in separate steps. The use of a sulfite wash aid is recommended before toning with Selenium because there is soem possibility of the toner depositing some elemental selenium on the surface of the print if the print is acid. This does not seem to happen if the print has been washed even without the use of the wash aid. Since KRST contains quite a bit of ammonium thiosulfate (rapid fixer) it is quite tollerant of fixer in the emulsion. Prints or films toned in it will wash out faster if treated with wash aid _after_ toning.