[pure-silver] Re: Verichrome Pan processing

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 09:01:24 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martin magid" <martin.magid@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Pure Silver" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 8:47 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Verichrome Pan processing

I acquired a Kodak No. 3A Autographic a couple of days ago that had not been touched since at least 1984, when the father-in-law of the seller died. The outside is a bit rough, but the inside including the bellows, lens ands shutter are excellent. There was a roll of Kodak Verichrome Pan in the camera, showing #4 through the window. I shot the last 2 frames at f/7.7, 1/25, in bright sunlight. I'll probably develop it in D-76 stock in a tray using the old see-saw method. I have a little benzotriozole, and I can spare a few drops. Any recommendations for developing time?

Marty

You can see-saw but remember this is modern panchromatic film and needs to be processed in total darkness. I still have the Kodak data sheets for it and can send one if you like. Its Kodak F-7. Developing time for Cirkut camera film with continuous agitation is 8 minutes @ 68F in D-76 1:1. That should be right for your film. Note that while benzotriazole will result in cleaner looking negatives it does not compensate for the loss of speed that acompanies fogging. Its probably better not to use it if the film already had some images on it since anti-foggants of all types tend to destroy some of the latent image.