[pure-silver] Re: Using a long Beseler drum

  • From: Philippe Gauthier <pgauth@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 23:55:03 -0500

Richard Knoppow a écrit :

If this is like my 11x14 Beseler drum it has a trough in it to hold the chemistry before starting to agitate. The trough is attached to the bottom of the drum which is removable, that is, both ends can be removed. Removing the trough makes it easier to load the drum especially when a number of small prints are to be processed.
The drum has a fixed, permanent separator along the side and grooves for removable separators. The removable separators are used for smaller prints. If the drum is complete there should also be small separators which clip onto the fixed separator to keep which are shorter than the drum apart.

You're right, the bottom end can be removed, too. I had not tried! Once the trough is removed it's easier to understand that it is actually meant to hold the chemicals before agitation. The container inside was actually ANOTHER drum, a Cibachrome Mark II, 11 inches, with both caps missing. Weird. I see no trace of removable separators, but I won't need them anyway. The rest of your explanation makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the help, I'll give this new toy a try as soon as I can.

PG