[pure-silver] Using a long Beseler drum

  • From: Philippe Gauthier <pgauth@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 18:50:28 -0500

I currently own a Unicolor roller that I use with 10 inch drums. I load it either with 4x5 or 8x10 sheet film and the loading pattern, with the grooves inside the tube, is fairly obvious.

It recently occurred to me that such a tube would be useful for large size paper as well (after all, they were made for color paper, right?) and that processing 16x20 sheets would require less chemistry in a large tube. I just bought such a large tube in swap last Sunday, but it is a Beseler tube and the way it's meant to be used isn't so obvious. Inside the tube, you find a long, slim, black plastic part (I'm really at loss for the right English word, here) that is attached to the bottom. It seems that you should pull this part, but it doesn't move. Inside the tube there is also a smaller, loose cylindrical container that you cannot remove because of the plastic thing.

What's that? How do you use it? A 16x20 sheet fits the tube quite well (no paper overlap) even if I don't care about the thing and the container. Will these accessories allow me to use larger size paper (with possible overlap) or are they used when loading the tube with chemistry? Unicolor drums keep the paper/film away from the chemistry when you fill it, but it seems that the Beseler tube cannot do that - or perhaps there's a technique I can't figure out... Any hint would be appreciated.

Other question: is it possible to load this tube (which is about 22 inches long, if you don't include the cap) with larger paper, like 20x24, using the plastic thing as a kind of separator, to avoid paper overlap?

PG