[pure-silver] Re: Turning Photo-Flo 600 Into Photo-Flo 200

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 18:46:51 +0000 (GMT)

On 02 Sep, 2010,at 02:36 PM, Brian Reynolds <reynolds@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Jean-David Beyer wrote:
> Richard Knoppow wrote:
> >
> > I've never calculated the freezing point of a
> > Cosmopolitan but it must be pretty low with all that
> > anti-freeze in it. They are an excellent anesthetic, right
> > under the table before you know it.
> >
> But I was not proposing freezing the Cosmopolitan. Just the solution of
> ethanol and benzotriazole and water. Must be about 90% water by the time
> I mix it. If frozen slowly, perhaps the benzotriazole would precipitate
> out. If not, the water would freeze first, followed by the alcohol
>
> I guess that would be a way to raise the proof of alcohol-water
> solutions. Freeze the solution at, say 30F, and throw away the ice. ;-)

That's how the alcohol level is raised when making an eisbock.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bock#Eisbock>

--
When I was a student urban mythology had it that down the country you stole a beer keg from behind the pub, threw it in the back of the Hi-ace and when you got home you put it into the chest freezer for three days, after that two quick drilling jobs wiith the electric drill to get into the central cavity, and you were done in more ways than one.
All the best

Brian Reynolds | "It's just like flying a spaceship.
reynolds@xxxxxxxxx | You push some buttons and see
http://www.panix.com/~reynolds/ | what happens." -- Zapp Brannigan
NAR# 54438 |