[pure-silver] Re: Tray Ladders

  • From: Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 11:44:28 -0400

pdesmidt tds.net wrote:

I made my darkroom sink out of plywood, polyurethane caulk, and two part "bathtub" epoxy. (Don't get the water-based kind!). It's been 12 years, and it's held up find. Although one of these years I should do what Nicholas recommends and re-paint it.

Mine was made with A-C plywood exterior grade, but not marine grade.
I screwed and glued it together. The glue was 2-part resourcinol waterproof
glue. When the glue was dry, I painted it with 3 parts thinner, 1 part
marine varnish. Mixed so thin so it would soak into the wood as much as
possible. The second coat was 1 part thinner to 1 part varnish. Last coat
was straight varnish. It worked OK. I then found Klenk's 2-part enamel. I
ran a finishing sander over the varnish and put on two coats of Klenk's white.

Over the last 30 years, the wood has checked occasionally, so I had to
repaint it once and use some windshield adhesive to stop leaks. But not often.

 ^^-^^ 11:25:01 up 18 days, 20:36, 3 users, load average: 4.14, 4.12, 4.16