[pure-silver] The Good Old Days

  • From: "Mike Kirwan" <mkirwan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 16:44:55 -0700

I have just found a copy of the Kodak professional handbook circa 1950.
There is a section called "20 Selected Sample Prints" which almost brought
tears to my eyes. The prints are approximately 4.25"x3.25" and made on the
actual paper. The papers include:

Athena B - fantastic semi-gloss warm tone - would die to get some now
Athena Y
Opal C
Opal H
Opal K
Opal L
Opal S
Opal V
Opal W (Really cool semi-matt warm tone)
Opal Z (Heavy Patterned matt warm tone
Azo E
Illustrators Azo F (wow)
Illustrators Special Paper E (wow)
Ektalure G - I really miss this paper
Medalist J
Kodabromide N
Portrait Proof R
Aristo P
Mural R

This just proves that while progress is good, we have lost some wonderful
materials.

Mike