[pure-silver] Test of Efke Direct Positive Paper

  • From: mmagid3005@xxxxxxx
  • To: idcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 11:17:34 -0400

I purchased a package of the Efke Direct Positive B & W Positive Paper from
Freestyle a couple of months ago.  Freestyle claimed the ISO was approximately
1 to 6.  To test the ISO I loaded the paper into film holders ands exposed them
in a Miniature Speed Graphic, which has a pretty accurate Supermatic shutter.
The day measured to be a perfect Sunny 16 on my Gossen Luna Pro meter.  I made
a series of exposures at f/16  starting at 1/2 second, then doubling the time
for each successive photo.  I developed the prints in Ilford developer, 1:14,
for 1.5 minutes.  I scanned them on my Epson 1680 at 96 dpi, with no
manipulation.  The results are shown at this Flickr site :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29332295@N03/?saved=1

It appears the 2 second exposure is the best, though a finer test from 1.5 to
2.5 sec. would be useful.  But assuming the 2 second exposure is right-on, then
the reciprocal of 2 should be the ISO, or 1/2, for an ISO of 0.5.  Am I correct
in this?  The next project with this paper is to use it in my Gordon Street
Camera, sometime this fall.

The other photo on the site is me in my darkroom with my Folmer & Schwing 4 X 5
aerial camera, circa WWI.

Marty