[pure-silver] Re: Temporary darkrooms

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 01:47:21 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2008 8:45 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Temporary darkrooms

  Hi,

For those of you who do not have dedicated darkrooms, how long does it take you to covert your room into a darkroom ?

It seems to take me more then an hour to go from room to darkroom that is ready to print.. Which is to say, light tight, chemicals mixed. Etc

Take down takes almost the same when I factor in the time it takes to empty the print washer..

  Just seems really long.

http://www.shampoo.ca

My own darkroom for many years has been a very small kitchen but with some stuff in an adjoining service porch and bathroom. The kitchen is about large enough to turn around in. Fortunately it has a sink with a large counter top area. I rig this into a duck board for trays made of two long strips of 1x3 and some cross pieces of about 1/2" square. It lifts off and is stored away when not in use. I also rigged a counter top to go over the stove. The enlarger is on a combination cabinet and stand. I have a large wash tub in the service porch with yet another duckboard on it to hold the wash tray for RC. I have a Zone VI washer that gets put in the bathtub when used. There is only one large window. Its blacked out with a close fitting cardboard cover with black-out plastic on it.I've made black out curtains to fit over other windows and a door. Safelights are left up all the time. I have about enough storage for both kitchen and darkroom stuff. This is not ideal but is what I am stuck with at the moment. It takes me probably ten or fifteen minutes to rig this for printing or processing sheet film. Roll film is done using a changing bag so there is not much that has to be done. I can and have printed 16x20s in this room. I think actually a darkroom can be too big. In this small space I can reach anything I want with perhaps two or three steps at most.

---