[pure-silver] Re: Sulfite stabilization

  • From: "John Black" <jblack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 11:26:19 -0400

> Surfactants may help emulsify tocopherols but that wouldn't help
> development of silver halides. One common way to increase water
> solubility of tocopherols is to esterify at the phenolic hydrogen but
> that would most likely affect the reducing action of the molecule.
> (Such compounds can be designed to be biologically useful because once
> they enter the body, a suitable enzynme can cleave the ester. But this
> is not going to happen in developer solution.)
>
> Also, Triton X is a family of Union Carbide (Dow) surfactant products
> containing very different surfactant products specified by a number
> following the family name. "Triton X" is not a complete specification
> of a surfactant. Same for Tween.

Hmmm... I knew this about the Tweens but not Triton.  I have a bottle
somewhere labeled "Triton X" and used it for enveloped virus disolution but
the Tween I have is 20 where most people in my field use 80. The Tween 20
makes a decent substitute for photoflow in a pinch but is rather viscous and
difficult to measure.

> Anyway, I suggest again that vitamin E is of no use as a photographic
> developer.

Probably, but that's what is fun about science in general...  unexpected
results and effects not anticipated by analysis, in otherwords, serindipity.

JB