[pure-silver] Sulfite stabilization

  • From: "John Black" <jblack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 16:12:22 -0400

Some of you may remember that I am engaged in a developer component
stability with time test using phenidone, ascorbic acid, tris buffer and
sulfite.  This study was undertaken out of sloth because I want to be able
to make up film and paper developer and fixer out of stable liquids when I
need them, not powders.  I have stabilized the PC and buffer to my
satisfaction with no loss in potency over a years' storage but I have been
recently tried several methods of sulfite solution preservation.

My favorite formula contains some, but not much sulfite.  About 5-6 gm/L but
it is necessary for the level of activity I need.  Well, to cut to the
chase, I found that the more concentrated the sulfite solution is, the
better it keeps (surprise, surprise!) so I started using saturated NaSulfite
solutions (about 26-27%) as additive.  I am up to 4 months now and see no
loss of sulfite reactivity (reduction potential) from the saturated solution
as compared with freshly made solution from powder.  I measure the activity
densitometrically (did I spell that right?) with a procedure of my own
design.  I am hoping to get a years' stability at this level out of this
solution also.

Unfortunately, this means I must have a solution C as well as A and B to mix
with water but that's not so bad.  These solutions can be mixed in different
ratios and with other things to make film developer, paper developer,
fixative and hypo eliminator.  A dash or two of saturate sulfite solution
works wonders to freshen up a tired fixer batch that is about used up.  All
this of course is using glass bottles with good seals.

More later.

JB