[pure-silver] Re: Sodium Hydroxide = Red Devil Lye

  • From: Claudio Bonavolta <claudio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 10:27:33 +0100

----- Message d'origine -----
De: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 01:09:21 -0500
Sujet: [pure-silver] Sodium Hydroxide = Red Devil Lye
À: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

>Hi All,
>
>This is a bit off the wall but I'm taking a chance that somebody in our
>august and diversified group might be of help.
>
>The only large supplier of photograde chemicals in Canada is a 15 minute
>ride from my place. In my order I needed Sodium Hydroxide to make a
>particular solution of Sepia Toner. She informed this afternoon that she
>doesn't carry it anymore because of the very low demand.  I was the
>first person in year who asked for it.  So I substituted Potassium
>Hydroxide at the ratio of 10:14 by weight.
>
>Now the question?  Anchell in the "Darkroom Cookbook" suggests that a
>substitute for Sodium Hydroxide is RED DEVIL Lye.  This is  an American
>label (I'm Canadian) and several people I have spoken to have never
>heard of it.  My wife told me that her mother used to use LIONS Lye to
>flush out the drains but I don't know if it is a substitute for RED
>DEVIL; I don't know if it can even be bought anymore.
>
>Would anybody, perchance, on the off chance, trivial pursuit question,
>...... have an idea of a Canadian substitute for RED DEVIL Lye to
>replace the Sodium Hydroxide?????
>
>Pleeeeeese.......
>
>It's nice to be able to lug home a 5 Kg container of Sodium Thiosulphate
>
>Cheers :)
>
>Bogdan

>   Bogdan Karasek
>   Montréal, Québec                     bogdan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   Canada                               www.bogdanphoto.com
>
>                      "I bear witness"

A quick Google search turned out this canadian (Montreal) site that lists both
Red Devil and Gillett's lye (they seem to close in February so hurry up !):
http://www.super-grow.biz/NAOH.jsp

Except cleaning the drains from time to time, I use it to develop the resin on
electronic printed boards, so you may also find it in electronic stores.

As indicated, be *very* cautious with sodium hydroxyde, on the fingers you'll
find them slippery (your skin is starting to dissolve ...) and into the eyes,
you can just remain blind, so use gloves and eye protection !

In France, you can find it in supermarkets, freely available. I'm still
impressed that such a dangerous chemical is so easily available ...

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch