[pure-silver] Re: Sodium Hydroxide = Red Devil Lye

  • From: "Nicholas O. Lindan" <nolindan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 01:47:12 -0500

"Bogdan Karasek" <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Anchell in the "Darkroom Cookbook" suggests that a substitute for Sodium Hydroxide is RED DEVIL Lye. Would anybody, perchance, on the off chance, trivial pursuit question, ...... have an idea of a Canadian
substitute for RED DEVIL Lye

South of the border we have two types of powder drain cleaner:

1) The "Drano" type with aluminum chips and other stuff that
the maker claims will keep the s. hydroxide from eating a hole in the kitchen sink drain.

2) The "Red-Devil" type that is pure s. hydroxide and only
   says it will do the job assigned to it.

I imagine the same is true in Canada - look for the one
without any spurious claims.  If, when you open it, it isn't
pure white but has black and/or shiny chips in it then you have the wrong sort. Also, if when dissolved the result isn't
either clear or clear/cloudy (depending on the amount of dissolved
CO2 in the water) then you should place the can under the
kitchen sink and buy the competing product.

==
Nicholas O. Lindan
Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
Cleveland, Ohio 44121