[pure-silver] Re: Silver Mirroring and Care of Old Photographs...

  • From: Rob McElroy <idag@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 13:41:35 -0400

Ray,

The following link is for the PhotoConservation list on Yahoo. It is run by Luis Nadeau, the author of many books relating to process history. Many conservation professionals belong to the list and the expertise among the members is extensive.

I have a large study-collection of silver mirroring examples and print deterioration samples. What is your question? Feel free to respond off-list if your questions are not germaneproprietary to this list. Posing your questions on the PhotoConservation list should elicit the help you need.

I have personally been experimenting with silver-mirroring-removal for many years, and have developed a proprietary technique for removing the silver mirroring without affecting the original surface sheen/ reflectance of the paper.

Regards,
Rob McElroy
Buffalo, NY
daguerreotypist
photo conservation researcher

On May 22, 2008, at 9:36 PM, Ray Rogers wrote:

Does someone remember (or know of) an active conservation list?
or some person active in the field that likes to talk about conservation and true (analog)
restoration?

There may be someone on this list... I am not sure, (perhaps Roger K? is with us?)

Anyway, I have a few questions I would like to direct to people who have seen a lot of examples of
print deterioation such as silver mirroring.

(Of course GEH and IPI come imeadiately to mind, but that should be later I think.)

Alternativly,
Anyone here have any photographs damaged by silver mirroring?
If so, you may respond off list, if you prefer.

(If there is not a suitable list for conservation questions,
perhaps I will post them here....)

Ray

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = ====================================================================== To unsubscribe from this list, go to www.freelists.org and logon to your account (the same e-mail address and password you set-up when you subscribed,) and unsubscribe from there.