[pure-silver] Re: Silver Halide

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:03:25 -0500 (EST)

From: "Peter Badcock" <forums@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Silver Halide [was Fogged New Oriental.....]
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:32:26 +1100

> > Silver halide crystals are indirect gap semiconductors.
> > Did you know that?
>
> I didn't actually.  This fact has sparked my interest to
> read more about the physics behind photographic emulsions.

If you understand a bit of material science stuff, you'll probably
enjoy reading this:

Tan, Y. T. 1989. Silver halides in photography, MRS Bulletin, May
1989. 13--40.

Also, for the process of latent image formation, etc.

Hamilton, J. F. 1988. The silver halide photographic process. Advances
in Physics, 37, 359--441.

Tani, T. 1995. Photographic sensitivity. (Oxford series in optical and
imaging sciences, vol 8.) New York: Oxford University Press.

But these are highly specialized publication, I have to warn you.

For more easy introduction to science of photography in general, I
highly recommend:

Mitchell, E. N. 1984. Photographic science. (I think it was from Wiley)

This book was written as a textbook for a general science elective
course at an undergrad level. The author is an expert in silver halide
physics. It's out of print but there are many used copies circulating
at $20 or less.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."