[pure-silver] Re: Shoulder and highlight

  • From: "J.R. Stewart" <jrstewart@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:39:10 -0500

Bob, are you using sensitometry to determine the shoulder of the Tri-X or
are you interpreting that it has a shoulder based on a print? If the latter,
are you seeing the differences between Arcos and Tri-X on the same paper?

I'm not sure you can totally compensate starving due to dilution merely by
using larger volumes of developer. In my 4x5 protocol, I doubled the volume
of Rodinal 1:50 in the tube to compensate for starving (of FP4 especially)
and it didn't get me much closer to the predicted density--I mean it was WAY
off.  This was most obvious on the N+2 and N+3 protocols. I had no such
problems after I switched to D76 1:1. I like Rodinal, so I may go back and
try it at 1:25.

You might try Ralph's suggestion to try 1:1 to rule out that effect.

Jim