[pure-silver] Re: Selenium toning Kentmere Paper

  • From: "J Stewart" <jrstewart8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 23:32:43 -0400

 I've been using Kentmere glossy Fineprint for a few years now and typically
tone in KRST 1:9 dilution. There is definitely a color shift to cold purple
(which I like) after 8-15 minutes at around 65 - 70 deg. It isn't as
pronounced as graded papers. KRST action is sensitive to temperature; I've
found as others have that below 60 deg F, there is very little action.

If I want a warmer purple, I treat the print in KBT 1:80 for 30 sec to 3
min, depending on how warm I want the result to be. 3 minute KBR treatment
followed by KRST results in a tone similar to Agfa MCC in KRST alone (but
not quite as 'subtle'). KBR treatment of Fineprint also tends to warm the
highlights, and I don't usually like that. So experiment with the
combination to get the look you're after.

I also received a trial pack of Adox II MCC. It tones more deeply than
Fineprint in KRST 1:9.

Kentona (grade 2 glossy) freely tones in KRST, typical of graded papers I've
used before.

BTW, I like the Kentmere papers. Very stable lot to lot and less costly than
Ilford. Dries flat, bright base, speed about right for my setup.

JStewart
Leesburg, VA