[pure-silver] Re: Selenium toning Kentmere Paper

  • From: J Howe <jhowe@xxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 13:21:52 -0400

Bogdan Karasek wrote:
Hi all,

I recently bought a packet of KENTMERE Fineprint VC DW Fiber Semi-Matte; it was the only Kentmere available. I'm getting fed up of Ilford papers which are the only papers available in Montreal Photo stores. So, I wanted to try Kentmere, hoping it might be a suitable replacement for AGFA MultiClassic.

I tried toning the Kentmere in Selenium 1:9 for up to 15 minutes and nothing happened. Is it me or is it just the paper that doesn't tone in Selenium? The Agfa paper toned so beautifully in Selenium.

Anybody else have experiences with Selenium toning and Kentmere paper? Did anything happen?

I was just looking through the Freestyle catalogue which I received with some items I had ordered and noticed that there is a Kentmere Kentona paper which is described as "sensitive to both warm tone developers and various toning techniques including selenium toning."

Unfortunately, it is a graded paper available only in #2 but nevertheless, has anybody had any experience with selenium toning this paper? What about Kentmere Bromide paper?

Cheers,
Bogdan
Hi Bogdan;
Kentmere Fineprint VC neutral tone shows a change to a sort of plummy color in KRST and also shows enhanced D-max and contrast. I purchased the Fineprint warm tone but haven't tried it yet. Toning happens within a couple of minutes at 1:7 so you might try fresh toner.

The color change doesn't seem to be quite as much as Forte Polygrade V or Kodak's wonderful Polyfiber (still wishing I could get the kind of response as Polyfiber G).

Agfa's MCC took a very different color in KRST than the other papers I've mentioned, a deep chocolaty brown, and was easily "split". The pinkish base sort of put me off, though.

Adox has plans to produce a clone of MCC 111 but the release date is this summer.

Regards,
JH