[pure-silver] Re: Selenium Toning Effects on Different Papers

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 21:42:07 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "richard lahrson" <gtripspud@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2012 9:12 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Selenium Toning Effects on Different Papers

Hi!

I've almost used up my supply of the old cold tone Bergger
Prestige NB fiber
based graded paper that toned great in selenium to varying degrees of sepia. Since this is discontinued I've been using Ilfobrome
Galerie FB grades
2 and 3, but the selenium toner has almost no comparable effect even
at considerable
strength and time in the toner.

I'd like to find a graded cold tone paper that would tone controllable in selenium. Also,what's the best VC paper with selenium toner?

                                            Thanks!

              Rich

Happy New Year Rich, I am stuck at home with a cold plus tomorrow is my birthday. Anyway, toners vary in their effects seemingly due to the size of the silver particles. The finer the grain the more _visible_ effect the toner has. I stress visible because toner is still working and a test with peroxide bleach will demonstrate it. As a rule finer grain printing paper has a warmer original image color so try warm tone papers to find one which will tone to a color you like. Colder tone papers are mostly just intensified a little. If you can't fine a suitable paper you might try other toners. Polysulfide toner is easy to make (Kodak T-8) and has good protective properties. Its also suitable for partial toning. At least worth a try. One warning: polysulfide tends to tone faster as it becomes diluted or exhausted and, eventually, will leave a peach-colored stain which is difficult to remove. To stop it at the end of toning treat the print in a bath of stock strength Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent, or 5% sodium sulfite. Actually, I find working strength clearing agent does fine. (the Ilford stuff should work as well). Sulfiding toners usually produce a sepia or brown color, gold toners produce a blue or neutral color, both are protective of the image. Generally, metallic substitution toners like Iron-Blue or Copper are _less_ stable than the original silver. They may look beautiful but don't extend the image life. Something else occurs to me: for many years both Kodak and Agfa made combination toners consisting of Selenium and polysulfide. I tried a home-made version of this. What I found is that it toned very fast for some reason. A couple of minutes for complete toning where its components take very much longer. I does have some sodium carbonate in it which might make the difference and may be applicable to Selenium toner. I've not tried this but it might be worth making up an ounce or so and toning a scrap of paper. I don't know if there is more in Tim Rudman's books on toning but they are always worth consulting (and buying).

Los Angeles
WB6KBL