[pure-silver] Re: Sediment in my XTOL, and another question.

  • From: "J. Lehmus" <jlehmus@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 00:50:03 +0000 (UTC)

Lots of sediment in my XTOL.

I mix the batch and store it in a single 5-liter plastic can. I am using XTOL stock-strength and do develop in a small two-reel tank. After development I pour the used developer back into the 5-liter can. After twenty or so rolls, I extend the development time by 15% or a little more. The 5-liter batch is good for some sixty or seventy rolls this way. The first ones are contrasty, but after a dozen or so it gets softer and I get those "magic" creamy tones that I'm looking for.

When I'm finished with the batch, I peer into the container and see a mess of ash-coloured leafy sediment at the bottom. When handling a can of "aged" developer, I'm trying to bevery careful to not disturb the sediment when pouring out the developer. It always seems to keep to the bottom of the container and has never caused trouble, but I still do wonder what that stuff exactly is?

I'm using exclusively Fomapan 400 in 135 size.

All the best,
jukka

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, William Harting wrote:

Elias, my Xtol has sediment in it too, doesn't seem to have any
effect, I'd be interested to hear others chime in. I keep my stock in
several size bottles, but I don't use marbles on the partially filled
one. Hope I'm not playing with fire...

-bill

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 9:41 PM, Elias Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My XTOL isn't that old. I use about 450ml per roll of either 120 or 135. I
fill the working bottle (full strength stock) with 70ml fresh unused stock,
then I pour the developer I just used back the working bottle until it
fills to the top, and I dump the rest. So I'm replenshing my working bottle.
So far so good, I've developed a half dozen films so far - it's been about a
month or so, and the bottle is filled to the top and closed tightly. It's
got sediment along the bottom. Does this mean anything to anyone? Should it
mean anything to me?

Using marbles to fill fresh stock bottle, to keep developer level up to the
top: the bottle if full of marbles, and since there's plenty of room between
the marbles, the liquid inside isn't going to the top anymore. Should I
worry about oxidation when the bottle is half full of liquid, but full of
marbles? Or can I assume that the marbles are cutting down on the air in the
bottle enough to keep the developer good for three months?

Elias

http://jlehmus.sdf-eu.org