[pure-silver] Re: Running North American 120V/60 darkroom equipment on European 220V/50?

  • From: "Edward C. Zimmermann" <edz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 00:15:17 +0100

Quoting Nick Zentena <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On November 6, 2004 02:37 pm, Edward C. Zimmermann wrote:
>

> > Depends upon the gear. Enlargers, for instance, that use opalized bulbs
> > just need their bulbs replaced--- no need for transformer. Same for some
>
>       So you mean run the enlarger with 220V power? I don't think that will
> work
> with either of my enlargers. The Beseler has a couple of small motors to
> raise/lower the head and for focus. I don't understand why it would need new
>
> bulbs? Isn't a 150watt bulb the same no matter the voltage? Worse case I can

Wrong. A 220v/150watt opalized bulb is not the same as a 110v/150w..
A 110v bulbs draws twice the current. The load is also quite different.

If it uses condensors and the typical screw-in opalized/frosted glass
lightbulb you can replace these at your final destination--- wherever that
is. The motors could pose a problem. I nevered owned a Beseler. Are they DC
or AC motors? Any transformer running to them?

> always remove the motors and just do everything manually.
>
>       The Durst is fed from it's own power supply. The fan and timer plug
> into the

Which model Durst?

> power supply. I'm most worried about this one since I don't want to deal with

OK.. You have a 450/500 Head on a laborator? The fan at least on my Durst
is, if I'm not mistaken, a 220v axial. The power supply is just used for
switching--- but I'd need to check.

> replacing the colorstar.

The Colorstar could pose a problem as you have the 3000 model which has the
enlarger switch integrated--- like some Jobo gear--- into the power input.
You may want to use it to drive another switch/relay should you want to use
it to control 220v gear.

If you are going to Europe you may want to consider selling it in North
America and getting a 220v model.

Edward C. Zimmermann, Basis Systeme netzwerk, Munich