[pure-silver] Re: Release question

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 13:03:31 -0700

At 03:12 PM 6/6/2006 -0400, Mark Blackwell wrote:

Some of these Id like to sell as individual works of art. Yes I could sell them for editorial purposes, but finding property owners for property releases would be next to impossible. In many cases there wasn't any street signs or much of anything else and certainly nothing with address on it to try to write an hope it was forwarded somewhere to an owner. Definately no one lives there.

You do not need a release for art or editorial use of your photographs.

If there is nothing definitely recognizable, they can be used commercially as well, w/o a release. If you cannot specifically recognize anyone or anything, how could you get a release.

If you are standing on public property when photographing, and there are recognizable buildings in the background, you can still sell the photographs commercially as in the US, if you can be viewed from a public place (buildings can be) then there is no expectations of privacy. People, crowd gatherings, etc, in a public place, can be photographed and used commercially, as long as the recognizable people are not doing anything disgusting, degrading, etc, like picking their nose, scratching their ass, etc. You have no expectations of privacy while in a public place.

Chuck Gentile photographed the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame from a public place (gorgeous photograph) and sells large posters of the photograph. The R&RHOF sued him and lost. The uniqueness of the R&RHOF building is their trademark. But that doesn't matter. Chuck is not in the R&RHOF business, so his commercially selling a of the R&RHOF in no way infringes on the R&RHOF's business.

If you put your tripod exactly where Chuck did, took a very similar photograph, and started selling it as a poster, or large print, Chuck could indeed sue you for copyright infringement.

I had a run-in with the Pebble Beach company. They tried to sue me over my photograph of their trademarked "Lone Cypress" tree, which I use on the cover of a book that I publish, and inside another book that I publish. They gave up after the Chuck Gentile decision. Thanks Chuck... :-)

What it comes down to is that books, posters, fine art prints, and the like, are editorial usage, not commercial usage. If a product were being advertized in the same frame, that's a different problem, which usually involves license fees and releases.

Jim Brick, ASMP