[pure-silver] Re: Judging Negatives

  • From: Gerald Koch <gerald.koch@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 06:50:23 -0700 (PDT)

It sounds like you are not exposing the film enough.  Exposure controls density
while development controls contrast.  Many books on photography have an
illustration showing a group of nine negatives of the same subject.  The
negative in the center has correct exposure and development while the remaining
eight show all the combinations of incorrect exposure/density.  This
illustration can be helpful in determining the properties of a problem negative.

In your particular case exposure two sheets of film.  One with 1 stop more
exposure and one with 2 stops more exposure and check these for proper
exposure.  Then make a print from each to check for contrast.

Old time photographers had a trick to evaluate negatives.  First place the
negative on a newpaper.  You should be able to just read the newspaper through
the negative.  Now place the negative on a sheet of white paper to judge its
contrast.  Do not attempt to judge a negative using backlighting as this result
in error.

Jerry