[pure-silver] Re: Query about 4x5 Shanghai GP3 Pan 100

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 12:54:27 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bogdan Karasek" <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 13, 2009 7:31 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Query about 4x5 Shanghai GP3 Pan 100

Hello,

I recently acquired several boxes of Shanghai GP3 Pan 100i 4x5 sheet film.

I just wanted to know if 100 is the true film speed or if I should be shooting at a lower iso, 64, 50...?

The Massive Dev Chart only gives times and dilutions for 100iso.

Interestingly enough, the chart suggests Stand Dev with Rodinal 1+100 for 60 minutes, agitate for the first minute and let stand.

Anybody have any experience with this film?

Comments, suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,
Bogdan

Since you can shoot individual sheets of 4x5 a couple of experiments will tell you the practical speed and results for a given developer. True speed is something of a misnomer, the speed of a film is supposed to be established by a carefully controlled method as detailed in the ISO standard. It is also valid for only the developer used in the test and for the contrast index produced by the test. Also, the ISO speed is about the minimum exposure that will produce good shadow detail. Many users find that increasing exposure somewhat improves tone rendition. Also, exposure errors in the camera and variations in development will affect the results. Probably you know all this already but the point I want to make is that other's experience with this film may not apply to your conditions.