[pure-silver] Re: Pushing Arista Edu?

  • From: Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 14:44:13 -0400

Eric Neilsen Photo wrote:
> Pushing one's film is perfectly fine. At some point the in the process the
> final image is the goal. If you accomplish this feat by extra development of
> an underexposed frame, or sheet, so be it. It is a well known that magic
> doesn't happen and light appears on your negative where once there wasn't
> any "effective" exposure which is the case in weak, thin exposures that are
> below the threshold of the film to see it.  Are there trade offs and
> compromises? of course there are. If Jean- David is suggesting that it is a
> waste of time to push an under exposed roll, I find that to be less than
> solid advice. I find it much easier to flatten an image out in printing,
> rather than making an image to acceptable quality in local shadow detail.

Sure. If you underexpose a roll by mistake and realize it before you
develop it, do what you must. But I would not underexpose a roll
deliberately, but choose a faster film instead. If there is one. But if
I knew I could not get a faster film, I guess I would resort to flash or
something. Or not make photographs at all. Too many negatives to print
anyway.

> My bottom line is if there is no image, there is no image. If there is some,
> it is better to expand the shadow areas up so that you can play with it
> later. One of the hardest things to do in printing is getting a good black
> while hold good shadow detail from a poor, or thin negative. It is a good
> idea to blow a few rolls on film developer test before you try to use any
> new film on important stuff.

Absolutely. I use a Macbeth densitometer to test the film and a Kodak
Q-somethingorother reflection densitometer: the piece of cardboard with
a step wedge on it and holes in it.

 ^^-^^ 14:35:01 up 6 days, 17:27, 4 users, load average: 4.58, 4.79, 4.80