[pure-silver] Re: Pushing Arista Edu?

  • From: "Eric Neilsen Photo" <ej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:53:57 -0500

Pushing one's film is perfectly fine. At some point the in the process the
final image is the goal. If you accomplish this feat by extra development of
an underexposed frame, or sheet, so be it. It is a well known that magic
doesn't happen and light appears on your negative where once there wasn't
any "effective" exposure which is the case in weak, thin exposures that are
below the threshold of the film to see it.  Are there trade offs and
compromises? of course there are. If Jean- David is suggesting that it is a
waste of time to push an under exposed roll, I find that to be less than
solid advice. I find it much easier to flatten an image out in printing,
rather than making an image to acceptable quality in local shadow detail.

My bottom line is if there is no image, there is no image. If there is some,
it is better to expand the shadow areas up so that you can play with it
later. One of the hardest things to do in printing is getting a good black
while hold good shadow detail from a poor, or thin negative. It is a good
idea to blow a few rolls on film developer test before you try to use any
new film on important stuff.

Eric

Eric Neilsen
Eric Neilsen Photography