[pure-silver] Re: Purple-Tinted Negs

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 19:28:14 -0400 (EDT)

From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Purple-Tinted Negs
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 15:47:55 -0700

>    An effective bleach for removing dichroic fog can be made
> from film strength rapid fixer by adding 15 grams per liter
> of Citric acid to it. The film must be watched carefully to
> prevent bleaching of the image.

This doesn't work with any rapid fixer. It should be done with
unbuffered acid rapid fix. The best is to mix it from ammonium
thiosulfate and sodium metabisulfite.

On the other hand, adding 15g of citric acid to my fixer (Clearfix
1+3) wouldn't make it acidic enough.

>    One does not have to rely on such indirect and perhaps
> unreliable methods such as a residual tint to indicate
> complete fixing.

If you give twice the clearing time with frequent or continuous
agitation, I don't see a problem with film. With paper, this is a
different story and washing requirement should be considered in
selecting the fixing technique.

>    Its easy enough to test for good fixing periodically, or
> perhaps better, with every batch fixed. Use scraps of film
> or paper to make the test.

Better approach is to tone prints right away. It'll give you instant
feedback. All unfixed silver halide is also made permanent.