[pure-silver] Re: Purple-Tinted Negs

  • From: Eric Nelson <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 15:00:39 -0700 (PDT)

Maybe the techs at Kodak Professional are crazy but
they've told me several time that the "too long in the
fixing bath" issue we were all taught to fear, is a
myth insofar as film is concerned.  i.e. that the
shadow/midtone whatever info would be lost/dissolved
or whatever if fixed for too long.  They said they ran
tests and fixxing could be as long as 6 minutes in
Rapid Fix.

Given that, I standardized with 5 minutes for fixing
here, and; I NEVER fix more than 30 rolls per 1/2
gallon, I use HCA with agitation (Jobo) for 1-3
minutes. A minute is fine but longer won't hurt
anything, and I NEVER have purple negs whether it be
T-Max or otherwise.

Different films will have a different color.  PlusX
looks blue for example, and a stack of processed Tri-x
sheet film waiting to be sleeved has that purple
color, yet individually the sheets look perfect.
Eric