[pure-silver] Re: Provia and filters; was: Re: Re: Venturing into color...

  • From: Mark Blackwell <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 20:33:53 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sun, 5/25/08, Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [pure-silver] Provia and filters;  was:  Re: Re: Venturing into
> color...
> To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Sunday, May 25, 2008, 11:23 AM
> Hi,
>
> snip
>
> Mark Blackwell wrote:
>
> >  Also throw a few rolls of slides in there too.  I
> like Provia 100F and Velvia but there are lots of options
> there too.  Its not hard anymore to get prints from slides
> so that problem isn't a big deal anymore.
> >

> When I go to Death Valley, I'll be bring along some
> Provia 100F and 400F.  Are there any recommendations that
> can be made concerning useful filters for shooting slides?
>
> Cheers,
> Bogdan

A couple I would suggest Bogdan has already been suggested.  The circular
polarizer is a good choice.  For a few other options, Id add maybe a few
neutral density filters of several different stops.  For slides Id also think
about a selection of warming filters to help with the blue of midday. In new
environments bracket the different ones as it is a bit of guesswork unless you
have a color meter.  For b&w  the dark yellow has already been suggested and I
sometimes like a red 25.

One other thing Id throw in the bag is ideally a color checker, or at least a
gray card.  When working with print film the first exposure I take in a
different type of lighting will be one of that in that type of light.  Mark
that roll and keep all rolls taken in that lighting condition together.  The
lab tech then has a reference point from which to adjust color filtration for
your prints.  If they process the marked roll first, the filtration should be
very close to that for every other roll.