[pure-silver] Re: Printing emuslion side up. Why?

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 00:40:01 -0400

Hi, I understand why you mean, but my image is abstract, there is no up, down, left, right, up or down, emulsion side down or up. So it makes no difference technically. I understand what you mean about the lettering but that is not my case.

Thanks,
Bogdan

john stockdale wrote:

That's right. The emulsion faces the object that you're photographing in the camera, and then later it faces the paper: it's just that the light is travelling in the opposite direction. In both cases it travels through a lens which does the same thing in each case, i.e. turns it upside down. When in doubt, try a negative that has some printing or a sign with words. You'll soon see which way is right.
John Stockdale
p.s. the same applies when putting transparencies in a projector, except that commercially duplicated slides sometimes have the emulsion the other side.
At 01:37 PM 2/09/2006, you wrote:

I always learned it was emulsion to emulsion; that is, paper up, neg down.
Bob