[pure-silver] Printing emuslion side up. Why?

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 23:26:01 -0400

Hi all,

Sounds like a dumb question but why do the "They" always say that you have to print with the emulsion side up, towards the light source? Is there a technical reason for this?

The reason I ask is that this afternoon I was printing a 4x5 neg to 11x14. The neg is part of a series of abstracts I'm doing using just twigs, leaves, petals, pebbles on a black backround.

To cut to the chase, this afternoon, I had a neg that gave what I wanted when I put it in the neg holder, emulsion side down. I was the only way to get the position I wanted. Print was beautiful, just what I wanted. For comparisons sake, I printed the same neg, emulsion side up, different position, of course, but I wanted to see if there was something different, materially different, about the first print because it had ben printed emulsion side down. Sorry, but I couldn't see a difference. There is the fact that I am biased towards the first print which I like the best and that may be blinding me towards something else. Is there something specific that I should be looking for and then comparing that something specific in each print. I have a feeling that it may have something to do with the focus....Vaguely remember reading texts and teachers Darkroom 101 saying that you had to put the neg emulsion side up into the filmholder, the reason being........???????

Like I said, it's probably very obvious but I'm ignoring it.

If anybody has any ideas, they are welcome.

Cheers,
Bogdan
  Bogdan Karasek
  Montréal, Québec            e-mail: bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx