[pure-silver] Re: Printing emulsion side up. Why?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 21:05:34 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lee Carmichael" <click76112@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2006 8:53 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Printing emulsion side up. Why?

also the image is generally right reading thru the base side (emulsion down) the emulsion side is generally more dull.

lee\c

At 08:41 PM 9/2/2006, you wrote:
Hold the negative in the light so that you can see specular reflections on the surface of the film. You will see outlines of the shapes in the photo on the emulsion side, while the other side will look perfectly smooth. This is easier to see in some films than others.

Regards,
Aaron Reece

On Sep 2, 2006, at 9:34 PM, Ron Klein wrote:

Ok. I'm going to ask the stupid question I imagine other lurkers are asking.

How do I tell which side is the emulsion side.

Neither of these is universally true. Some developers produce a relief image but most do not. Color film emulsion is sometimes as shiny as the support side. This is also true of films with retouching surfaces coated on both sides such as most Kodak "professional" films. In the case of Ektachrome it can be hard to tell which side is which. In general, film will tend to curl toward the emulsion side. The other clue is the edge printing on roll and 35mm film, this is such as to be readable the right way around when viewed through the support side. For sheet film the code notch is placed so that when the film is held with the notch on the upper right edge the emulsion side is facing you.

---