[pure-silver] Re: Pre-soaking film

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 01:57:15 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Snoopy" <snoopy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2010 1:28 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Pre-soaking film

Dear Harry et. al.,

harry kalish wrote:

I think their rep at a trade show mentioned that they had started to incorporate a wetting agent in their film---roll film only?, I'm not sure.

it almost certainly is not "roll film only". Roll film and 35mm come from the same rolls of very wide (several meters wide) coated emulsion. Roll films are then cut out of the center strip because the emulsion
there is more "evenly coated" over a larger area.

35mm are cut from the remaining "edges" of the rolls: as they are narrower again the emulsion thickness (i.e. the gelatin layer) is fairly even over the area of the film, but there is more variation between the rolls, as the big rolls gelatin gets thicker towards the outside.

This added to the "story" that roll films are "professional" films, with a higher consistency. Hence I would bet, that also the 35mm films had
the wetting agent: they come off the same roll.

When I was a student in England our PhotoSoc once visited Ilfords plant. The scale of things was awesome. They made millions of films every MONTH and used massive saws (all in the dark) to cut up these huge rolls. Hell
of a noise too.

Love,
Snoopy

Roll film and 35mm film do NOT come from the same master rolls, for one thing the support is different. 35mm film is coated on a support which is much thicker than roll film and sheet film on support which is thicker yet. I don't know where you got the idea that the emulsion thicknes varies across the roll. In fact, emulsion thickness is very well regulated throughout. Most films do not have a single coating anyway. There is always a substrate to get the emulsion to stick to the support and usually more than one emulsion coating. Most films have an anti-abrasion coating on top of the emulsion. Some color films have twelve or more emulsion coatings. These must all be coated with extreme uniformity. I don't know what Ilford consideres "professional" vs: something else. Kodak makes all films to a single standard. Since one of Kodak's largest customers is the motion picture industry, which requires an extreme standard of uniformity, it has learned to meet that standard and applies the same technology to other kinds of films. All films have various sorts of additives in them some of which are proprietary. These probably include wetting agents. Most motion picture stocks are intended for machine processing and I am not certain if a wetting agent is desireable in them. Some wetting agents, notably the ones used in Photo Flo are not suitable for direct use in developers but there are others that are.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL