[pure-silver] Re: Perceptol

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, jim@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 19:52:01 -0400 (EDT)

From: "Jim MacKenzie" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Perceptol
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 17:19:39 -0600

> I had understood that the issue was iron salts in water.  Use
> distilled water and you won't have the problem.  I've never had
> issues using tap water here (and I've used XTOL for years), so I
> haven't tried it, but I've seen this issue mentioned more than once
> so I tend to give it some credence.

Not necessarily in water. If the problem was only water, those using
deionized water would not see any problem, but in reality, there are
enough reports of problems. Also, there are reports that a stock of
XTOL mixed with distilled water was fully active at one point and dead
only a couple of hours later, both taken form the same bottle.

The problem could come from unclean apparatus, and impurities in the
photographic grade chemical stocks. I do know the last is enough to
cause problems.

I had a batch of DS-10 (exactly as posted) made up and stored in a
loosely capped bottle for 2 months, with which I detected no decline
in speed or contrast. My last test batch was made in Feb 2005 and
tested in April 2005. The purpose was to find out if my new technique
was more effective than DS-10, but it turned out that both were as
good at the condition I used last time. The test I'm currently running
uses a different condition to test the effect of various stabilizing
techniques.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."