[pure-silver] Re: Omega D5 XL Manual

  • From: Ken Hart <kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2021 09:46:08 -0500

That pin is actually a rivet. It should be fairly easy to punch out. After removing the rivet remains, that hole and the hole to it's left in your photo should line up, and you could put a small bolt through it. (maybe a #8 by 1/2")

Ken Hart
kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 3/3/21 5:10 AM, Eric Nelson (Redacted sender emanmb for DMARC) wrote:

Not until I got your email!
THANK YOU!

Gosh this was so simple of a fix and staring me right in the face!

Of course once I got past this and figured out how to re-assemble the life arms, (I knew that NOT taking pix of that would bite me in the a__ later!) I found that a pin in the actual lift arm that you grab to lift the head to remove a negative carrier, has been sheared off at some point in the 8 years since it was shipped here from the US.  Minor thing, but someone else will have to deal with it.
Thanks again Ken. :)
Inline image

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 10:41:56 PM GMT+7, Ken Hart <kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Did you get this squared away yet?

Your video showed exactly (I think!) what the problem is at the end. On the back-side of the column, there is a cross bar with two black plastic wheels. These wheels look like train car wheels: they have a flat surface that carries the weight of the train on the track-rail, and they have a lip- larger in diameter than the flat part of the wheel- that keeps the train on the track. These wheels are riding on the top surface of the railroad track (the column), rather than the edge of the track. These wheels need to be further apart, so that the lip is over the edge of the column. Gentle force did the trick on my D5. In your video, the wheels are riding about halfway between the edge of the column and the sawtooth- they need to be moved out to the edges of the column.

These wheels, in the position they are now, would prevent the negative stage from being parallel with the baseboard- the front edge would be high. Once they are in the correct position, the front edge of the negative stage will be lower and aligned. They will also line up the carriage side-to-side. Once the wheels are in the proper place, the rod you removed at the beginning of the video will keep the negative stage carriage centered and square.

Ken Hart
kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  <mailto:kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On 3/2/21 1:05 AM, Eric Nelson (Redacted sender emanmb for DMARC) wrote:
Thanks I've found one on alignment which is basically what I need to do.  Have to look at them some more.

To better illustrate the issue, I made my own video. Omega D5 XL Alignment Issue <https://youtu.be/Tmoinc7pDrc>

    Omega D5 XL Alignment Issue

<https://youtu.be/Tmoinc7pDrc>

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 2:01:29 AM GMT+7, Bill Riley <bill@xxxxxxxxxxx> <mailto:bill@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I highly recommend doing a search on YouTube for Omega D5 Enlarger. There are many very useful videos. If helpful, give the video a “Like.” It really helps the creator.

Regards,
Bill Riley

On Mar 1, 2021, at 1:35 PM, titrisol <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> <mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There <http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-coll/manuals/enlargers/omega/OmegaD3andD5.pdf> is one here:
http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-coll/manuals/enlargers/omega/OmegaD3andD5.pdf

On Monday, March 1, 2021, 9:22:01 AM EST, Eric Nelson <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> <mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've just taken out of storage my Omega D5 XL and found the head at the top with the 2 lift rods OVER the top of the column.  I took off the 2 lift rods to get the thing down from there but now the neg stage platform doesn't allow the lift rods to go back in place.

It's been over 8 years since I've worked with this thing so I'm kinda lost and given how simple the enlarger is, you'd think I could figure it out but I can't see what I need to do to get things back in place.  It's next to impossible to do this without photos or a video but I'll at least get the ball rolling now in case anyone has a manual for this thing.  I have the one from https://photoarchive.tundraware.com (once I turned on my VPN) but I'd found that one out in the wilds already.

If anyone has or can direct me to a manual I'd be very grateful!

Eric