[pure-silver] Re: Omega 4x5 Mania

  • From: Sauerwald Mark <mark_sauerwald@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 05:00:36 -0700 (PDT)

I will also toss in my 2c.....

I limped along for a long time with a hodge-podge
poorly equipped darkroom.  Then a couple of things
happened which changed my life...

My brother loaned me a Crown Graphic, and I had my
first encounter with LF - and I fell in love.

I upgraded the darkroom - and had a stroke of luck
there.  My enlarger was an Omega 700 - would not cover
4x5.  I wanted a 4x5 enlarger, and started searching
e-bay for one which was within driving distance.
After  a while I found a Beseler 45 'and some other
stuff', about 3hrs drive from me, which I won at a
reasonable price.  I contacted the seller, and told
him that I would be coming down to pick it up,
arranged a time.  I told him that I would be driving a
minivan - and he advised me to remove the seats before
coming down.  When I went to pick up the enlarger it
turns out that the previous owner was the father of
the seller, who was a retired photojournalist/hobbiest
- the 'other stuff' was a very complete darkroom -
Archival print washer, drum dryer, hard rubber tanks,
RC print dryer, many trays, easels, timers, trays up
to 24x30 etc.  It barely fit in the minivan.  I had to
build a new darkroom to accomodate all the stuff, and
now, working in there is such a joy!

I ended up spending more on misc other little things
than I did on the enlarger, and I suspect that most
people do so.

Shortly after getting the new darkroom set up, my
brother reclaimed his camera - so I had to buy a new
4x5.

In any event, I would suggest patience, keep your eyes
open for a local sale, and see if you can get the rest
of the contents of the darkroom.  The enlarger is an
important element of the darkroom, but don't neglect
everything else.

Mark