[pure-silver] Re: OT - Great Quote

  • From: Elias_Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 14:58:00 -0400

Thanks for the inspiring quote. It's very true. I'm most efficient and creative when my options are limited. My students were setting type two weeks ago (real metal type), working on a recipe book, and we didn't have fractions to work with, so we invented what turned out to be beautiful typography, a captial roman Q with an italic t for Quarter, and capital roman H with an italic f for Half: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brownuartbook/4552386937/sizes/o/ Sorry it's upside down.

But when I think about the infinite in computers, I'm mostly reminded that it's an illusion. Computers may offer an infinite number of choice for frittering away time, but as an artist I find them woefully inadequate. Once you learn to use them like the tool that they are, their usefulness is as limited as anything else.

There are days when I think I should limit myself to this laptop, my Olympus E-620, and my Epson printer, and one paper. But that's very unlikely to happen anytime soon. : )

Elias

On May 2, 2010, at 1:59 PM, Adrienne Moumin wrote:

From a recent NY Times Article on Irving Harper, a 93-year-old Modernist product designer:

When an admirer gave Harper an Apple computer in return for a gift of some vintage graphics, the designer hauled it to his upstairs studio, where it remains unused in a closet. “With a computer there are too many choices, and I always liked working within limits,” he said. “You know, if you look at Mozart, who had this strict classical framework — an allegro, an andante, a scherzo and a finale — you see that within that formula, he got results he might never have gotten if he had all the options in the world.”

It's a great analogy for what we do in the darkroom, I think.

full article text here:
http://nyti.ms/bsX7ee

Adrienne Moumin
on the web at: www.picturexhibit.com