[pure-silver] Re: Negative Intensification

  • From: Joel Alpers <joel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 14:18:20 -0700

Dennis Purdy wrote:

On Dec 2, 2009, at 13:55, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

I have a negative that was exposed with strong backlighting and no exposure

compensation was dialed in.  So, the desired foreground is quite dark

as compared to the less important background.

I am contemplating trying to intensify the negative with KRST.  However,

there seem to be two schools of thought about this. One says that selenium

only affects the highlights and thus would buy me nothing here. The other

says that you get intensification of shadows as well.

Who's right and will this help fix my problem?

--

I use KRST to boost highlights and contrast.  Works well for that.
Dennis

I have used it successfully for both the whole image, and also for
local intensification of a portion of a negative.

I hope it goes without saying that you should have a backup
negative (especially for locally applied KRST) if the image
is important to you.

Joel.