[pure-silver] Re: Need some ideas

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 21:25:04 +0000 (GMT)

I've done a bit  of this, nothing elegant or professional looking I'm afraid. A
couple of tips
1) Look at lots of images of cameras, an image search on Folding Camera Wooden
will give you a lot of ideas.
2) Start simple.  Something that works like a Hobo, beats a collection of
timber in a corner of the living room.
3) Gonzo Ground Glass: Make a ground glass holder by modifying a sheet film
holder cutting out the back and replacing the film with a sheet of ground glass
or perspex.  Matting the front surface of either of these with carborundum is
trivial.
My 2c.
Laurence Cuffe
Sent from QCloud

On May 13, 2015, at 03:20 PM, Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 05/13/2015 08:53 AM, mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Well been toying with the idea of building my own 4x5 camera for a while.
Always wanted to build a Bender, but they are no longer in business. Never
found a kit that I really wanted to build other than that one, and frankly its
really not what I am looking to build now.

In a real world, its probably going to have to be from plans, but that's ok.
Have most of the woodworking tools necessary to do this, including a lathe,
though my turning skills are bare beginner. Rest I can get by and usually make
most anything I need.

What I am looking to build is a field camera with some movements, at least
front movements. I want a rotating back, 4x5 format, and to use the standard
film holders.

The folding aspect is what is what has me baffled a bit, but it does need to
fold, or at least be easier to carry around than a monorail. Id also consider
it a huge plus for wood to be the primary material of construction. I have done
a bit of metal work, but I am much more skilled working with wood than metal.

I would appreciate some advise from those that might have done this before.
Anything from plans you have built, what you thought about them, plans you know
about and like or don't like, suppliers you have used that were honest and
reputable, and anything you think might be useful for a total rookie at camera
building.

http://home.online.no/~gjon/lffaq.htm

http://www.nic.fi/~mikoneka/

http://makezine.com/2009/12/17/how-to-build-your-own-field-camera/